Monday, January 4, 2010

What’s your New Year’s Resolution this Year?

It’s 2010, can you believe it? With each New Year I find myself thinking “wow”, this is the year we are in? Where does the time go? I always love starting a new year however. If you had a fabulous 2009, cherish it and be thankful (and good for you!). If you had a bad year then now is the time to stop dwelling on the past and look into the future at all the new possibilities and opportunities that await us. So what’s your New Year’s resolution this year?

A common resolve you hear is “I’m going to start exercising” or “I’m going to loose weight”. I can tell you that getting a parking spot at my local gym the first few weeks of January can be a challenge…but come February it’s back to normal. Other popular resolves are, “I’m going to quit smoking, drinking, spend less or save more.” These are all great promises to make yourself but still a challenge to stick to for most of us. Of course we have good intentions but many of us soon fall off the wagon. I believe one of the reasons could be is that when you want to make changes in your life permanently but disguise it as a resolution it almost sets you up for failure. Losing weight, exercising or deciding to quit smoking are lifestyle changes that should be made if you are serious and committed to being healthier, right?

I was thinking why don’t people make resolutions that can make you feel good and make others feel good as well? Like, well….sharing the good! I find in my own life I am surrounded by negativity and pessimistic outlooks. But those that know me know I am the exact opposite of that. I wish I could just get everyone to be more positive! So I say it’s time to loose that Scrooge bah humbug attitude people! We are in a new year and can make it anything we want it to be! It’s my reasoning that being positive, nice and wanting to help those around me makes me feel good, make others feel good and thus results in being positive and having a happier life.

So when is the last time you complimented someone? Giving compliments is a great feeling, really it is, just try it and I think you’ll agree. It’s a win-win! You may be reading this thinking, “Hey, you work for eCompliments so it’s obvious to be talking about compliments”. But in actuality, all of us who are part of the eCompliments team had that positive, optimistic persona before we joined this organization. That’s why we wanted to work here. We have the belief we can change the world by “sharing the good”. Yet I don’t always find myself making a conscience decision to give compliments to people in person. So that is my New Year’s resolution this year; to compliment at least one person a day. How about you? I think you will be rewarded too if you give it a try. Share the Good! Happy New Year everyone!

Angelica Michaels

No comments:

Post a Comment